What's Up Wednesday -April 2023

 


Oh April you always come shining through. While March is typically a stink-tastic month for me (this one was particularly bad) April always comes through with the sunshine, blossoms and my birthday to make things Better.  Since it is the last Wednesday of April, I am linking up with Shay and Shaeffer for their monthly link-up What's Up Wednesday. Settle in for the fun that was April in my post today.


What We're Eating This Week


Meal planning is more important than ever this week as we have two lacrosse games, I have a fancy reception and we continue hockey tryouts.  


Monday-Shrimp scampi, brown jasmine rice and salad


Tuesday-Late game meant burgers, dogs, McCain Smiles for the guys, cucumbers and tomatoes


Wednesday-Guys are on their own


Thursday-Bacon mini meatloaves with salad


Friday-Not sure yet because we have a day trip


What I'm Reminiscing About


Honestly this month I am thinking back a lot to when we all locked down due to COVID in 2020. Sometimes I am like yeah, that was two years ago and then I realize...no, that was three years ago. It was such a weird, scary time and I cannot believe we are still basically dealing with COVID in some ways.


What I'm Loving


I don't know why, but I am really appreciating and loving spring this year. I think it may be because I was so sick (COVID) starting Labor Day weekend and then also dealt with infections and issues related to my salivary glands from about Halloween until last week.


What We've Been Up To


April has been a big month around the Good Better Best household. 


I went up to see my mom for her birthday and went out to dinner with my mom and sister. I had a birthday also at the beginning of the month that was pretty low-key due to Hockey Guy having an away game that day really far from the house. We had my favorite pizza which is always a treat.


I helped put together our year-end hockey banquet and we had so much to celebrate we needed two cakes!






Due to COVID, this was the first banquet that they had had in years so we just started from scratch and pulled it together in less than two weeks. Luckily, I had two great partners that just help make everything happen and just go with what we all think is the
Best plan.


That night Hockey Guy was named Assistant Captain for his senior year. This is such a cool thing for him. When he was little he used to go to these high school hockey games and bring a jelly sandwich to eat while he watched the games. When he was in middle school he just wanted to go to high school there and play hockey. Now they have won two championships and were ranked in the top ten programs in the Washington, DC area by a little publication you may have heard of called The Washington Post. This has been the most amazing ride and I cannot wait to see what this team and these captains do next season. 


We changed up our Easter plans this year and I didn't hate it. We hosted a brunch instead of dinner. We may not always host a brunch...but maybe we will keep it as an option too. 


Easter Look


The boys also teased me by adding green army men and matchbox cars to my Easter mantle and then gave the Easter bunny a red solo cup. I literally live in a frat house.








We left the day after Easter for Hockey Guy to start his college visits. This was a Good one and one that will stay on the list. We have another visit on Friday too. We are enjoying this process and can't wait to see where it leads him.


Hockey Guy had a lacrosse trip the end of spring break and that ended up being a Good trip for him. 


Last week I had the reschedule of my surgery that was a "failure to launch" in March. I will do an update of the second surgery soon, but so far so Good.


What I've Been Dreading


Last month I said I was dreading weeding, but we have really been working at it and getting on top of it much earlier this year and it hasn't been that bad.




What I'm Working On

As mentioned above, I am working on weeding and getting some spring planted bulbs in. We are working on getting this done as early as possible so that we can enjoy it.

I am also working on clearing out spring and summer clothes that need to be replaced and those that don't fit Hockey Guy any more. I am filling up a ThredUp bag and hoping to get that to the post office this weekend.

What I'm Excited About


I am excited about some opportunities that Hockey Guy could have over the next 12 months and excited to watch what happens for him.


I am also excited for spring...and I know I have mentioned that about a hundred times in this post.





What I'm Watching/Reading


We watched a lot of Good things in April, here is the list.


American Manhunt: The Boston Marathon Bombing




This is a really Good documentary on the Boston Marathon Bombing. Running Daddy, who is a three-time Boston Marathon finisher, and I watched it the week it came out.

Top Gun Maverick




I finally watched Top Gun Maverick last weekend. It was pretty much what I needed at the end of a long week. I am not sure if it was because I didn't see it on the big screen, but I liked it but didn't love it as much as some people. I thought there was some Good story development and there were some characters that I didn't think were necessary. In the end, I am glad I finally saw it.


Ride




I am really loving Ride on Hallmark. It gives off Yellowstone vibes but it is much less intense. I am give episodes in and things are getting really Good. Plus, Nancy Travis is just delightful in everything she is in.


Real Housewives of New Jersey


This season is so dark, but I cannot turn away. Honestly, Teresa, Melissa and Joe are all at fault. Plus, my prediction is that Teresa and Louie will be over in five years. It will be an ugly fight with him trying to get his hands on her money. Feel free to agree or disagree in the comments below.




What I'm Listening To


I am basically listening to every podcast that is covering "Scandoval" and Real Housewives.


What I'm Wearing


I did a little shopping this month to upgrade my spring wardrobe and replace some pieces that needed to be replaced.


I love Loft Riviera pants. They just always fit me really well and are a staple in my work wardrobe.




I grabbed these pants in the green as I think they are a fun color but still professional. I found them to always run true to size.


I also ordered these Utility Joggers in white for days that I want to be more casual but don't want to wear jeans. They have a straight hem, so when Loft says they are joggers they really just mean that they have a tie waist.





I will probably wear these with a tee and then also layer with a Lilly Pulitzer popover.






The Best part is that both of these pants are on sale right now.

I also needed some dressier work shoes so I bought the Cole Hann wedges in both the black and nude colors.




To finish things off, I got the travel size of the Good Chemistry Tiger Lilly. Notes of orange, amber and vanilla make this a Good choice for spring. I love the travel size because it is enough product but not a huge bottle as unless it is Chanel, I often get tired of perfumes. The Best part is that the ingredients in the Good Chemistry products are clean. 

What I'm Doing This Weekend


We have the day off on Friday and we are going on a little day trip for Hockey Guy to look at a school. 

Saturday, I have an acupuncture appointment and I am looking forward to it. It will be the first appointment back since my first surgery appointment went sideways. 

The rest of the weekend we are going to chill. Running Daddy and I may stop by the Mount Vernon Garden and Plant sale. I am planning on making ribs on Saturday and then grilling something else on Sunday. I am also looking forward to continuing with some yard work.

 
What I'm Looking Forward to Next Month

May is going to be a Good month. We have some fun parties and it is also Running Daddy's birthday month.

What Else is New

Make sure you join us as a writer, a reader or both tomorrow for Monthly Musings. Holly and I are talking all things spring and we would love to have you join us. Topics are below.




That's a wrap on What's Up Wednesday for April. See you back here tomorrow for Monthly Musings/ 
























5 comments

  1. I don't think you can ever be too excited about Spring!!! I stole your meme above for my Monthly Musings post tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so glad your surgery was a success- look forward to reading- hope you are well- you looked BEAUTIFUL and HEALTHY on Easter- yeah! Congrats to your Hockey Guy- such an exciting time for him and all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely compliment. April has been Good to us. Can't wait for our link up tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, I can't wait for spring either! I haven't started weeding or working in the garden just yet though. I keep putting it off "until tomorrow."

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.