Word for 2022: Less (and a Little More Too)

 


For the last couple of years, I have jumped into the word of the year craze instead of doing New Year's Resolutions. For me it is a Better way to focus on making changes throughout the year. It's super trendy but I do think it works.

In 2021, my word was "boundaries" and was really something that I needed to implement in my life. I am an enneagram three also known as the "achiever". One thing I learned this past year is that "threes" are the easiest to take advantage of because people know you will always just take care of things. This is spot on in my life and the focus on boundaries really helped me in 2021.

My 2022 word wasn't automatic but it wasn't labored over either. Boom, it just kind of came to me. About 10 days before Christmas I had dropped off a bunch of toys for the toy drive I help my friend Elizabeth run. I was exhausted that night and I walked through the door, looked at Running Daddy and said "I think I am doing too much." He looked at me as if to say "of course you are." When this word popped in my head for 2022 about a week later, it was just perfect.


Therefore, without further ado, my word for 2022 is Less.

Here is how I am incorporating Less into my life so far and how More also comes into play.

-Less clutter. It's amazing what people will take off your hands on those Buy Nothing Facebook sites.

-Less stuff. I stopped myself from buying this little stand at Ikea the other day. It was only around $7 but I didn't need it and realized I could achieve the same look with one of the two beautiful glass cake stands I already own. 

-Less "use or lose" vacation time at the end of the year. Seriously carrying over the max vacation time and then having so much to use or lose is not really healthy and robs me of Joy.

-Less time scrolling first thing in the morning and back to the focus of my quiet time with Jesus and the First Fifteen podcast.

-Less scrolling when I get into bed. I am trying to get into bed around 10pm. The phone needs to go down at that time. A book or magazine can go up or I can just switch off the light.

-Less food waste. We get busy and I am so embarrassed by our level of food waste. On Sunday, I took leftover vegetables and beef broth and simmered it for about 3 hours on the stove with onion, carrots and celery. At the end I added leftover rice. This made the most delicious soup that Running Daddy and I have been enjoying all week. This was a really Good way to use up leftovers and cut food waste.

-Less energy spent on people who don't value me. 

-Less time with people who don't respect proper boundaries.  

The word less does not have to be negative. In the way that I am trying to frame it for my own life, it creates room and space for  more meaningful spaces, meals, schedules and relationships.

How can you do less in order to give way to Better things in your own life? Feel free to leave them in the comments below.

If you have a word for 2022, I would love to hear them. Please feel free to share in the comments.

Ok Besties, it is after 9:30 pm when I am finishing this post, so I am about to head off to bed. Hoping to be back here on Friday for Friday Favorites!

6 comments

  1. You're amazing- this is so spot on- I should join you- it makes so much sense- here is to a wonderful year for you and people who treasure wonderful YOU! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, this is so up your alley to do a word of the year. There is still time for 2022 and I look forward to hearing about your word. Happy weekend friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I started saying no to much of the outside stuff and "other" things so I could really focus on saying yes to family time and memories and fun a few years ago and I have zero regrets. What a great word to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about no regrets. Have a good weekend and thank you for taking the time to comment and read.

      Delete
  4. I love your choice for word of the year and you're right, "less" actually allows room for "more" the Good, Better, BEST things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Natasha. I have actually been able to put into practice the benefits of less several times this month.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.