Easy Caprese Grilled Chicken




Needed to get back to my roots a little bit and share this easy weeknight recipe with you. Monday afternoon I was working at home, like everyone else, and knew I had a lot of food in the house but didn't have dinner planned. On Mondays, Running Daddy has a day off from triathlon training and since he is also home all day, he is always up to help with dinner by grilling.

In the summer, I always feel that if I have tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and Kirkland pesto from Costco in the house, I have dinner! I pulled this recipe together in my brain and it was so Good. The Best part was how quickly it came together. 

Here's how I made it:

-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
-Italian seasoning
-Olive oil
-1 large ripe tomato
-sliced fresh mozzarella
-fresh basil for garnish
-balsamic vinegar or glaze

First, I brushed both sides of the chicken breasts with olive oil and then seasoned both sides of the chicken breasts with Italian seasoning. I used the Tastefully Simple Rustic Herb Seasoning so I didn't add salt. If your seasoning doesn't have salt and pepper, lightly season with salt and pepper.

Grill the chicken over medium heat until it reaches 170 degrees and remove from the grill.

Top chicken with a tomato slice and fresh mozzarella. You can also zap in the microwave to melt the cheese it you wish. Top with fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. If you can find it, the balsamic glaze from Trader Joe's is amazing. It can be a little hard to find at the store but it really makes any dish Better

 

I served this over gluten free penne pasta and added a side salad. Hockey Guy added in the Kirkland pesto for his pasta, but you could also swap out the balsamic for pesto if you have it handy or if that is the way you want to serve up your chicken. 

This was such an easy dinner that came together so quickly. We are totally adding this to our summer rotation.

To make Better add one element of organic chicken, farmers market, organic or garden grown tomatoes or basil. To make Best, add multiple elements of organic chicken, farmers market, organic or garden grown tomatoes or basil.

Do you prefer pesto or balsamic? Let me know in the comments below. Enjoy!

4 comments

  1. Oh my does this look delish- right up my alley- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly--don't you also have a good caprese chicken recipe?

    Give this one a try and let me know what you think.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both pesto and balsamic vinegar but if I had to pick one I'd pick balsamic. This looks delicious and you can never go wrong with anything caprese.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.