Workin' It: Balancing Home & Work Life



Today I am linking up with Shay & Erika for their Workin' It series. This month the topic is one that ebbs and flows for me as I am sure it does for others, Balancing Home & Work Life. I am happy to participate in this as well as learn from the other ladies who participated in this topic.

I do have to say that this week I am not sure if I was balancing things all that well.  It's a busy time at work and phase two of our home remodel began this week and I may have posted my What's Up Wednesday a week early. Oh well, I will just link it up next week.

Work

I work for a Fortune 40 corporation in Government Relations. It can be busy, stressful and lot of fun.  I have been in my role for about 10 years, since the Sweet Boy was a baby. He has practically grown up in this office.  I am in the office every day from about 7:30 am to 4:30 p.m. I don't travel that often, maybe a couple times per year.  I have flexibility in the sense of that if the Sweet Boy is sick or has a day off, I can work from home.  If I need to go to a meeting at school, it's no problem. It works for me, and I will always take a better work environment over more money...but I like money too!


Running Daddy

Running Daddy helps a lot and is very supportive of my work. Typically Running Daddy takes the Sweet Boy to school and I pick him up. Running Daddy is very good with math homework is always Good to throw in or fold a load of laundry.  I have also put him in charge of things like Cub Scouts and hockey.  He is also the king of dry cleaning, I think I have been in our cleaners maybe five times in 11 years. 

Groceries/Meal Planning

I get most of my groceries online.  When I was first diagnosed with lupus  I started ordering my groceries online. At that point I had so little energy, I was not going to waste that energy or my weekend at the grocery store.  This was a little bit of an adjustment as I am one of those odd people that actually likes to grocery shop, probably due to my love of cooking.  I have tried a number of online grocery shopping options over the years and I am currently pretty happy with Harris Teeter Express Lane.  Yes, you have to pay around $5 for the service, but someone shops the store for you and you just pull in and they put it in your car.  I have definitely spent $5 on worse things and my time and energy is worth $5!  

I also have a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box delivered every Friday.  They literally drop fresh produce on my doorstep every Friday.  I typically plan our weekly meals around what is in the box.  This service has really changed the way we eat, especially for Running Daddy.

The beginning of every week, I look at our calendars and plan our dinners.  We eat together as a family basically every night.  The meal planning helps organize our nights and I try to pull items out of the freezer the night before if necessary.

Early to Bed/Early to Rise

Mornings start pretty early in the Good Better Best household.  Running Daddy gets up around 4:30 a.m. and does more work or house stuff.  I get up around 5:30 a.m. We typically have coffee together and watch the local news for about 30 minutes.  We have found this time to be really important as we often don't get a chance to really talk again until later at night and we go to bed pretty early.  Running Daddy usually goes for a quick run when I get in the shower. I am out the door by 7 a.m. and the boys are out around 7:30 a.m.

Since we get up so early, the Sweet Boy is in bed between 8:30 to 8:45 p.m depending on sports and studying.  I typically pack the lunch box and get other things ready for the next morning.  I try to be asleep by 10:30 p.m. but I find when I am in bed...lights out at 10:00 p.m., my fatigue is so much better.
Outfit Planning

I always lay out my outfit the night before.  I try to iron if I need to the night before as well, but sometimes I am just so very tired.  If I wait until the morning it usually puts me behind for some reason even though it doesn't take long to iron a pair of pants.  I dress for my day so this gives me some flexibility but I do try to dress as fashionable as I can due to the industry I am in.

The Sweet Boy wears a uniform and that helps a lot, but it also means that his uniforms need to be cleaned and ready to go, there are no alternatives on his school clothes.  I try to ask him the night before, right when we get home, if he has clean uniform pants for the next day.  If he doesn't, I would rather start a load of laundry right at 6 p.m. as opposed to 8:45 p.m. like I did the other night.  Getting it all folded and put away is always a challenge in our house.  Right now, we have a lot of clean laundry...but it's not folded or put away. Looks like I know what I will be doing Saturday morning.



Outsourcing

I do outsource a few things.  I have cleaning woman who comes every other week (except she has not been here in a while due to the renovation) and has helped me for over 10 years.  Between work and my health, I was having trouble keeping up with the cleaning and I need a clean house especially with all males (two legged and four legged) in the house.

We also have a neighbor who has a dog walking service come at noon during the week.  The pup gets a chance to get out and he loves her so much.  She takes amazing care of him.

Weekends

The Best in work life balance are our weekends.  We spend a lot of time together as a family on the weekends. Friday night we always have pizza and Running Daddy and I crack open a bottle of wine.  The rest of the weekend is usually spent with sports, church and a lot of hanging out.  

I do often spend some time napping on the weekend as it really helps my health and lately I have been trying to attend at least one Barre 3 class every weekend.


Wrap Up

So I am not sure that I have all the answers and some weeks things are running more smoothly than others.  What tips do you have for Work Life Balance?  Leave it in the comments below.








No comments

Powered by Blogger.