In Praise of Pears

 


It's pumpkin spice and apple everything season and I am totally here for it. That being said, we have a favorite fall fruit in the Good Better Best household that I think is totally underrated. We love pears in our house and use them in a few unexpected ways. I am sharing those ideas with you today. 

Butternut Squash Soup


Butternut squash soup is a staple for fall food. I am here to tell you that I think that my butternut squash with pear soup is one of the Best things I make.  Most recipes for butternut squash soup call for apple but adding in pear, just gives the soup a totally different and unexpected flavor. It adds a certain sweetness and depth. Adding in pears is also a really Good way to use up pears that get too ripe too quickly.

The next time you make butternut squash soup, whether you try my recipe or use another, add in pears instead of apple. I highly doubt you will go back to apples.

Pear with Caramel 

Need a sweet treat that doesn't have a lot of calories? A little pear drizzled with caramel syrup is a really Good option.  Just use the caramel syrup that you find in the ice cream aisle and you have a really easy, healthy fall dessert.


Pear Salad with Blue Cheese


I whip something like this up several nights a week during the fall. Some butter lettuce mix, cucumber, almonds, blue cheese and pears make a really Good fall salad. Just make sure that you add your pears right before the salad hits the table or they will turn brown. No one likes brown pears. 


Trader Joe's Organic Balsamic & Fig dressing is a really Good pairing with this salad. 

Harvest Love movie


It just so happens that one of my favorite Hallmark movies is about a pear farm. Harvest Love is one of the Best Fall Harvest movies on Hallmark in my opinion. It stars the lovely Jen Lilley and the oh so handsome Ryan Paevey. If you can catch this sweet film from 2017 over the next few weeks I think you will enjoy it.

What is your favorite ways to serve pears? Leave them in the comments below.

2 comments

  1. Yum! We also love pairing butter lettuce with blue cheese, apples and a red wine vinaigrette. Fall is a great time to switch up various apples, pears, figs, etc to use up whatever is on hand. This is good recipe to try and could easily replace the fig with a pear. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/butter-lettuce-romano-bean-salad-fig-vinaigrette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pears too. I often put them on my salad and I made a really delicious Asian pear and cheddar "pizza" this fall with a balsamic glaze that even my pickiest eater enjoyed. Your soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.