Celebrating Democracy at the Embassy of New Zealand

Last week our country celebrated the peaceful transfer of power, and no matter what side of the political aisle you are on, it's a pretty cool thing.  I don't get political on this blog because my day job is very political but bipartisan, but I did want to share an amazing party I was invited to at the Embassy of New Zealand that really embraced food, wine, joy and life.

Being from New England, about two years ago I helped someone who was running for political office for my day job.  While the numbers on election night didn't work out for my friend, I still know he was the Better candidate.  About ten days before Inauguration, I received an invitation from my friend in my inbox for a party at the New Zealand Embassy celebrating food and wine from New England and New Zealand.  I have an unwritten rule living in this amazing city, when you get invite to an embassy, you go.  So there was only one answer to give....Yes Please! I invited my colleague Miss M with me because I knew it would be a great afternoon and I wasn't sure that she had every been to an embassy before...and this would be a Good one.

The afternoon was filled with elected officials from the New England states, the Ambassador to the United States from New Zealand and I was thrilled to see my friend as it had been a couple of years.  This is a funny town, and so many people don't pay you any mind if they no longer have use for you, that is why it was so nice of him to invite me to this party after so many years.  Might be a New England loyalty thing, but it also reminds me that there are Good and kind people in this business too.

Now let's get to the Best stuff...the food and wine!  I was very curious to see what the Embassy would serve for wine, as they have access to all of the New Zealand wineries and since this was an Inauguration party they would be pulling out the Best selections.  They served Ten Sisters Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir.  As Sauvignon Blanc is my favorite wine, that was my choice especially with so many seafood choices being served that day.  I had actually had Ten Sisters Sauvignon Blanc before and I can tell you that is it smooth as glass and pairs so well with seafood that they served.  Ten Sisters is a highly rated wine and they do not export a lot so it was really a treat to have it.  You can learn more about Ten Sisters winery here.



The lobster salad made with just the right amount of mayo and a little spice to give it a kick.


The also had a chef direct from New England to shuck all of the oysters you could want.  They served them with a choice of two sauces one that was soy sauce based and the other was a mango chili sauce, which is absolutely the way I would go.  Another guest at the table joked that if he could pull a chair up to the oyster table he would...me too friend!

There was a mini fried shrimp basket with fries that because I cannot eat it (although I did think about it for a nano second) I did have Miss M try and tell me if I would like it.  She said that it was everything fried food should be, light, decadent and yummy.  There was also passed lamb chops of course with a pesto sauce.  While lamb is typically not my first choice, I knew any lamb chop served at the New Zealand Embassy would be nothing short of amazing. I was right and I still keep hoping that the waited might pop around the corner here any minute and have one of those lamb chops for me.

It was the Best day and one that I will remember for a long time. On my way out I had to take a photo of the Queen...well because she is everywhere.

And finally, another party guest, was kind enough to take a photo of me on the way out, because I cannot master the art of selfies.

It was the Best day celebrating the Best country.  


<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/18470111/?claim=j6xyk4kr9xg">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>




No comments

Powered by Blogger.