2012 Good Better Best Organic Garden

The Good Better Best Organic Garden has become such an important and fun part of the GBB Household.  It has given me new challenges and gotten both Running Daddy and the Sweet Boy to try new vegetables.  Just last night Running Daddy told me he never liked tomatoes until we started growing them in our garden.  Sweet boy started eating cucumbers last year when we planted them for the first time.  I call that GBB success.

Every year I say that I am going to get the GBB garden in early....not wait until Memorial Day and every year it goes in Memorial Day...2012 was no exception.  May is super busy for us and this year life got in the way.  So Memorial Day was the weekend to prep and plant the GBB garden,

First up was prepping the GBB garden.   The GBB garden is not a large garden but it is in a great space in our yard.  It gets lots of afternoon sun and is up against the brick wall of our garage.  The brick keeps the area warm overnight.  Running Daddy has been great about moving leaves in the fall into the GBB garden area so that they can decompose over the winter and condition the soil. In addition, when I was prepping the garden I could really tell the areas where the Coast of Maine Lobster Compost had been last year (more on this in a bit!).


Prepped Garden 

As you can see, the rosemary plant that went into the garden in 2009 is still doing well.  Actually it is so big that I really had to cut it back to make room for the other vegetables.  This rosemary plant aka Big Mary really took off in the winter of 2010 when our area had all of snow from Snowmageddon.



Big Mary 

The Sweet Boy and I started a mantra on the GBB garden last year of "Put it in the ground and see what happens."  We have learned what does well and what does not.  Peppers, cantaloupe, and watermelon does not do well.  Cucumbers, squash, basil and tomatoes do well.  Lavender, beans and Japanese eggplant are new this year.



Basil and Japanese Eggplant

Tomato and Japanese Eggplant


Beans in pots, lavender, squash and cucumber

The Best piece of gardening advice I can give you is to plant your veggies in your soil and then spread the Coast of Maine Quoddy Blend Lobster compost around the plant.  I started using this product last summer and it has solved all my gardening problems.  No bottom blossom rot on tomatoes and a garden that produced more vegetables than it ever has.  It was the only thing that I did differently last year so I am sure this was the key.

You can find more about Coast of Maine products here:


I will continue to update you on the GBB Organic Garden.  So far it is looking good.

What did you plant in your garden this year?

Enjoy the Best Food!
Patty



No comments

Powered by Blogger.